Jewish Healthcare Institutions in Colorado
1. National Jewish
Frances Wisebart Jacobs (1843-1892) — a longtime advocate for people with tuberculosis — collaborated with Rabbi William Sterne Friedman of Denver's Temple Emanuel and others who recognized the need for a tuberculosis sanitarium in Denver for those who were unable to pay for treatment. Their discussions led to the incorporation of the Jewish Hospital Association of Colorado in 1890.
In 1893, the Jewish Hospital Association of Colorado completed its new tuberculosis sanatorium, which it called the Frances Jacobs Hospital for Consumptives after Mrs. Jacobs, who had died the previous year.
But because the Silver Crisis recession meant that funding was no longer available, the hospital didn't actually open until 1899, when in consideration of nationwide funding, it was given a new name — the National Jewish Hospital for Consumptives.
National Jewish was and is located at Colfax Avenue and Colorado Boulevard in Denver.
The name evolved over the years:
We have more about the origin of the National Jewish Hospital for Consumptives and about Frances Wisebart Jacobs.
- 1893 — Frances Jacobs Hospital for Consumptives
- 1899 — National Jewish Hospital for Consumptives
- 1925 — National Jewish Hospital at Denver
- 1965 — National Jewish Hospital and Research Center
- 1978 — National Jewish Hospital / National Asthma Center
- 1985 — National Jewish Center for Immunology and Respiratory Medicine
- 1997 — National Jewish Medical and Research Center
- 2008 — National Jewish Health
Return to Top
Copyright © 2013 Thomas J. Sherlock
All Rights Reserved.