Jewish Healthcare Institutions in Colorado
3. Denver Sheltering Home for Jewish Children / National Asthma Center
Denver Sheltering Home for Jewish Children was originally opened to provide a residence for children whose parents who were patients at the National Jewish Hospital for Consumptives or the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society. The home opened in 1908 following a fundraising initiative led by Fannie Eller Lorber and Bessie Willens.
The first Denver Sheltering Home for Jewish Children was an 11-room house at 3247 West 19th Street, near Irving Street — about four blocks west of today's Sports Authority Field at Mile High.
In 1918 it moved about a block down the street to a 17.5-acre campus at 3447 West 19th Avenue, just east of Sloan's Lake.
The Denver Sheltering Home's name and mission changed over the years:
In 1978, the National Asthma Center merged with National Jewish Hospital at Denver, which after the merger was, until 1985, called National Jewish Hospital / National Asthma Center.
- 1908 — The Denver Sheltering Home for Jewish Children
- 1928 — National Home for Jewish Children in Denver
- 1953 — Jewish National Home for Asthmatic Children at Denver
- 1957 — Children's Asthma Research Institute and Hospital (CARIH)
- 1973 — National Asthma Center
Return to Top
Copyright © 2013 Thomas J. Sherlock
All Rights Reserved.